Mandalay & Surrounding

“Mandalay is the second largest city in Myanmar and was established in 1857. It lies on the east bank of the Ayeyarwaddy River and in the upper part of Myanmar. Mandalay has the Royal Palace of the last Konbaung Dynasty. Mandalay inherits many cultural heritage from the ancient Myanmar Kingdoms and beautiful places to visit.”

Amarapura

Amarapura lies on the left bank of the Ayarwaddy River. A suburb of Mandalay. it is also known as Taung-myo (Southern Town) or Myohaung (Old City). Founded by King Bodawpaya in 1783 as his new capital. Amarapura means City of Immortality. Amarapura was the capital city of Myanmar. during the Konbaung Dynasty. It was founded by King Bodawpaya in 1782 AD. as the king transferred the capital from Innwa (or Ava). King Bagyidaw. grandson of Bodawpaya shifted the capital back to Innwa in 1823. but King Tharrawaddy his successor again took the capital back to Amarapura in 1837 and it remained as the capital until King Mindon built Mandalay in 1857 and shifted the capital there in 1860.

 

Inwa

Inwa was formerly known as Ava and it is located 21km from Mandalay. Inwa was also known as Yadana Pura. It was first founded as a capital by King Thado Minbya in 1364 A.D. It is the confluence of the Ayeyarwaddy & Myint Nge rivers. But the king had a canal dug to join the Myint Nge and Myint Tha rivers thus cutting off the capital as an island. safe from enemy attacks. As successive kings ruled the war with King Raza Darit of Bago for many years. the Shan chief Thohan Bwa took the advantage and overran the capital. Gradually the kingdom grew weaker and finally it became a vassal to the Taungoo Empire. Later kings shifted the capital from Inwa back and forth many times until King Bayint Naung’s son King Nyaung Yan re-established his capital at Inwa in 1596 A.D. It continued to be capital till 1782 when Bodawpaya moved the capital to Amarapura. But his son King Bagyidaw moved his capital back to Inwa. It was destroyed by the earthquake of 1838.

On the road to Sagaing. just before you reach the Inwa bridge. there is a road branching east ward. The Inwa bridge crosses the Ayeyarwaddy River. This road leads to a ferry station where you can cross the Myittha river to reach Inwa.

Sagaing

Sagaing lies 21km south-west of Mandalay on the west bank of the Ayeyarwaddy River. It lies in Sagaing division. which is the largest division in Myanmar. Sagaing became the capital of an independent Shan kingdom around 1315 after the fall of Bagan. Its period of importance was short. for in 1364 the founder’s grandson. Thado Minbya. moved his capital across the river to Inwa. From 1760 to 1764. Sagaing was once again the capital. Today. Sagaing is known as a meditation centre. Myanmars all over the country would visit Sagaing for the purpose of religious retreat.

Monywa

Monywa is a city in central Myanmar and situated on the eastern bank of the Chindwin Rive. Mandalay Division. It lies 136 km north-west of Mandalay along the Mandalay-Bubaline branch railway line. Monywa serves as a major trade center for India and Burma through Kalay Myo road and Chindwin river. The name Monywa comes from “Mon” meaning “cake or snack food” and “Ywa” which is the Myanmar word for village. There is a legend which says that in the old days a Myanmar king fell in love with a seller of cakes from this town and made her his queen. The original name some say. is Mon – thema- ywa or ” Village of the woman cake seller”. There has been a big village at Monywa from the Bagan Period. The classical name for Monywa is Thalawadi. The chronicles mention that Monywa was one of the places where King Alaungphayar encamped for the night on his campaign to Manipur in 1758. During the Myanmar kings’ time Monywa remained just a big village as the administrative centre for the region was at Ahlon. It was only a year after the Annexation of 1886 that Monywa became the Headquarters of the Lower Chindwin District. In the last few years with the legalizing of the border trade with India. Monywa has grown into a bustling trading.

Maymyo (Pyin Oo Lwin)

During the early 1900s the Government of Burma moved to Maymyo (the earlier name of present-day Pyin Oo Lwin) to escape the heat. Although the original Government House (left), constructed in 1903, was completely destroyed in about 1943, many houses, shops and churches from that period remain. An exact replica of Government House has now been built as a high class hotel, and there are plans for a Maymyo Museum to be housed in it. The original town plan has hardly changed, and Circular Road runs along the bottom of the ridge, once known as The Rides, a favorite colonial recreational area. In actual fact, there were a number of horse riding trails, radiating out from the town into the countryside, and these were very well used until the early 1940s. Today various unmarked traces of these rides can be found, often looking like country tracks, even in well populated areas.

Popular Places in Mandalay

Amarapura

Amarapura lies on the left bank of the Ayarwaddy River. A suburb of Mandalay. it is also known as Taung-myo (Southern Town) or Myohaung (Old City). Founded by King Bodawpaya in 1783 as his new capital. Amarapura means City of Immortality. Amarapura was the capital city of Myanmar. during the Konbaung Dynasty. It was founded by King Bodawpaya in 1782 AD. as the king transferred the capital from Innwa (or Ava). King Bagyidaw. grandson of Bodawpaya shifted the capital back to Innwa in 1823. but King Tharrawaddy his successor again took the capital back to Amarapura in 1837 and it remained as the capital until King Mindon built Mandalay in 1857 and shifted the capital there in 1860.

Amarapura is famous for the Silk Weaving Industry. Most of the Myanmar people are very proud to attend the cultural ceremonies with Achiek Longyi. mainly produced from Amarapura. Not very far from Mandalay city and accessible by car.

Inwa

Inwa was formerly known as Ava and it is located 21km from Mandalay. Inwa was also known as Yadana Pura. It was first founded as a capital by King Thado Minbya in 1364 A.D. It is the confluence of the Ayeyarwaddy & Myint Nge rivers. But the king had a canal dug to join the Myint Nge and Myint Tha rivers thus cutting off the capital as an island. safe from enemy attacks. As successive kings ruled the war with King Raza Darit of Bago for many years. the Shan chief Thohan Bwa took the advantage and overran the capital. Gradually the kingdom grew weaker and finally it became a vassal to the Taungoo Empire. Later kings shifted the capital from Inwa back and forth many times until King Bayint Naung’s son King Nyaung Yan re-established his capital at Inwa in 1596 A.D. It continued to be capital till 1782 when Bodawpaya moved the capital to Amarapura. But his son King Bagyidaw moved his capital back to Inwa. It was destroyed by the earthquake of 1838.

On the road to Sagaing. just before you reach the Inwa bridge. there is a road branching east ward. The Inwa bridge crosses the Ayeyarwaddy River. This road leads to a ferry station where you can cross the Myittha river to reach Inwa.

Sagaing

Sagaing lies 21km south-west of Mandalay on the west bank of the Ayeyarwaddy River. It lies in Sagaing division. which is the largest division in Myanmar. Sagaing became the capital of an independent Shan kingdom around 1315 after the fall of Bagan. Its period of importance was short. for in 1364 the founder’s grandson. Thado Minbya. moved his capital across the river to Inwa. From 1760 to 1764. Sagaing was once again the capital. Today. Sagaing is known as a meditation centre. Myanmars all over the country would visit Sagaing for the purpose of religious retreat.

Monywa

Monywa is a city in central Myanmar and situated on the eastern bank of the Chindwin Rive. Mandalay Division. It lies 136 km north-west of Mandalay along the Mandalay-Bubaline branch railway line. Monywa serves as a major trade center for India and Burma through Kalay Myo road and Chindwin river. The name Monywa comes from “Mon” meaning “cake or snack food” and “Ywa” which is the Myanmar word for village. There is a legend which says that in the old days a Myanmar king fell in love with a seller of cakes from this town and made her his queen. The original name some say. is Mon – thema- ywa or ” Village of the woman cake seller”. There has been a big village at Monywa from the Bagan Period. The classical name for Monywa is Thalawadi. The chronicles mention that Monywa was one of the places where King Alaungphayar encamped for the night on his campaign to Manipur in 1758. During the Myanmar kings’ time Monywa remained just a big village as the administrative centre for the region was at Ahlon. It was only a year after the Annexation of 1886 that Monywa became the Headquarters of the Lower Chindwin District. In the last few years with the legalizing of the border trade with India. Monywa has grown into a bustling trading.

Maymyo (Pyin Oo Lwin)

During the early 1900s the Government of Burma moved to Maymyo (the earlier name of present-day Pyin Oo Lwin) to escape the heat. Although the original Government House (left), constructed in 1903, was completely destroyed in about 1943, many houses, shops and churches from that period remain. An exact replica of Government House has now been built as a high class hotel, and there are plans for a Maymyo Museum to be housed in it. The original town plan has hardly changed, and Circular Road runs along the bottom of the ridge, once known as The Rides, a favorite colonial recreational area. In actual fact, there were a number of horse riding trails, radiating out from the town into the countryside, and these were very well used until the early 1940s. Today various unmarked traces of these rides can be found, often looking like country tracks, even in well populated areas.

Gallery