Bagan & Surrounding

“Bagan, the capital of the first Myanmar Empire that flourished from the eleventh to the thirteenth centuries AD. Within an area of 42 sq km, includes the principal areas of Nyaung U, new Bagan and Old Bagan, thousands of pagodas were built. Bagan is one of the richest archaeological sites in South East Asia. It is on the eastern bank of the Ayeyarwaddy River. Finest Lacquer-ware is famous product of Bagan. Walking and cycling between ruins and temples is unforgettable experience in lifetime. Enjoying the sunset or panoramic view from the top of the temples memorable and fantastic view. Over 3000 religious monuments, notable among the ancient glory are Shwezigon, Ananda, Thatbyinnyu, Dhammayangyi, Gubyaukgyi Pagoda, Shwesandaw Pagoda, Lawkananda pagoda.”

Shwezigon Pagoda

The pagoda is situated between the village of Wetkyi-in and Nyaung-U, Bagan. It was first built by king Anawrahta then completed by Kyansitthta (1084-1113) AD. Shwezigon is famous in the world of men and the men of spirits as far as the world of Brahmas.

Thatbyinnyu Pagoda

Thatbyinnyu temple was built King Alaungsithu in AD 1144. It is the tallest structure of all monuments in Bagan; 61m high overlooking the Bagan scene. The top of the terrace is the best place to see the best view of Bagan as well as the sunset and sunrise. The architecture of the temple signifies the finest of Myanmar culture.

Dhammayangyi Temple

Dhammayangyi Temple is the largest of all Temple in Bagan, it is popularly known was built during the reign King Narathu (1167-1170) AD. The remarkable feature of this temple is the excellent technique of brick-laying. The bricks fitting so close together that there is hardly any space between.

Gubyaukgyi Pagoda

This pagoda stands close to the western side of the Mya Zaydi Pagoda near Myin Ga Bar village. It was built AD 1113 Prince Yaza Kumaya. Myin Ga Bar Gubyaukgyi pagoda is noted for a variety of artworks which ornamented it. Architecturally it belonged to the early period of Bagan. It is interesting for the fine frescoes of scenes from the Jatakas.

Shewsandaw Pagoda

Shwesandaw pagoda was built in AD 1057 by King Anawrahta. It has five terraces. On the topmost terrace rises a bell-shaped sputa. All four sides have each a stairway leading right up to the fifth terrace. At sunset the white shwesandaw Pagoda is a bit crowded as visitors gather to take advantage of the fantastic view over the temples and the river..

Lawkananda Pagoda

Lawkawnanda Pagoda was built by King Anawrahta during his reign in AD1059. Situated at the edge of the river, this large gilded pagoda is one of the prominent visual landmark of Bagan. The riverside and sunset views from Lawkananda are unforgettable scenes.

Myinkaba Pagoda

Situated just to the left of the road as entering Myingaba, Gubyaukgyi was built in AD 1113 by Kyinsittha’s son Razakumar, dedicated for his father. It is famous for its preserved, richly coloured paintings inside.

Pitakat Pagoda

Near by Tharabar Gate and just northeast of Shwegugyi.

Shwezigon Pagoda

The pagoda is situated between the village of Wetkyi-in and Nyaung-U, Bagan. It was first built by king Anawrahta then completed by Kyansitthta (1084-1113) AD. Shwezigon is famous in the world of men and the men of spirits as far as the world of Brahmas.

Thatbyinnyu Temple

Thatbyinnyu temple was built King Alaungsithu in AD 1144. It is the tallest structure of all monuments in Bagan; 61m high overlooking the Bagan scene. The top of the terrace is the best place to see the best view of Bagan as well as the sunset and sunrise. The architecture of the temple signifies the finest of Myanmar culture.

Dhammayangyi Temple

Dhammayangyi Temple is the largest of all Temple in Bagan, it is popularly known was built during the reign King Narathu (1167-1170) AD. The remarkable feature of this temple is the excellent technique of brick-laying. The bricks fitting so close together that there is hardly any space between.

Gubyaukgyi Pagoda

This pagoda stands close to the western side of the Mya Zaydi Pagoda near Myin Ga Bar village. It was built AD 1113 Prince Yaza Kumaya. Myin Ga Bar Gubyaukgyi pagoda is noted for a variety of artworks which ornamented it. Architecturally it belonged to the early period of Bagan. It is interesting for the fine frescoes of scenes from the Jatakas.

Shwesandaw Pagoda

Shwesandaw pagoda was built in AD 1057 by King Anawrahta. It has five terraces. On the topmost terrace rises a bell-shaped sputa. All four sides have each a stairway leading right up to the fifth terrace. At sunset the white shwesandaw Pagoda is a bit crowded as visitors gather to take advantage of the fantastic view over the temples and the river.

Lawkananda Pagoda

Lawkawnanda Pagoda was built by King Anawrahta during his reign in AD1059. Situated at the edge of the river, this large gilded pagoda is one of the prominent visual landmark of Bagan. The riverside and sunset views from Lawkananda are unforgettable scenes.

Myinkaba Pagoda

Situated just to the left of the road as entering Myingaba, Gubyaukgyi was built in AD 1113 by Kyinsittha’s son Razakumar, dedicated for his father. It is famous for its preserved, richly coloured paintings inside.

Pitakat Taik

Near by Tharabar Gate and just northeast of Shwegugyi.

Nauthlaung Kyaung

 

Between Pahtothamya and Thatbinnyu, it is believed to be built in early 11th century, although some say it was built in AD 931 by King Taungthugyi. It is actually the only Hindu (Vishnu) temple remaining in Bagan.

Gawdawpalin Temple

 

On the road between Nyaung-U and New Bagan, near the Archaeological Museum, it is two storey temple and one the largest and most imposing Bagan temples. Built during the region of Narapatisithu and finished under that of Nantaungmya.

Bupaya Pagoda

 

On the bank of the Ayeyawady River, about 220yd northwest of the Mahabodhi Pagoda. It is said to date back further than any Bagan temple and some claims it was built originally by King Pyusawhti in 3rd century. What seen now is a complete reconstruction after the 1975 earth quake demolished the original.

Mahabawdhi Pagoda

 

About 380yd northwest of the Tharabar Gate, unlike any other Bagan temple, it is modelled from the famous Mahabodhi temple in Bodhgaya, India, with commemorates the spot where the buddha attained enlightenment. Built during the reign of Nantaungmya in AD 1215.

Htilominlo Pagoda

 

Northeast of Ananda and just south of Bagan-Nyaung U road, this big square 150ft-high temple, built in AD 1218 by King Nantaungmya, marks the spot where he was chosen, amongest five brothers, to be the crown prince.

Kyansitha Umin

 

About 270yd southwest of Shwezigon. Although of facially credited to Kyansittha, it is thought to have built during the region of Anawrahta. The long, dimly lit corridors of this cave temple are decorated with frescoes depicting the social lives of Bagan.

Maymyo (Pyin Oo Lwin)

During the early 1900s the Government of Burma moved to Maymyo (the earlier name of present-day Pyin Oo Lwin) to escape the heat. Although the original Government House (left), constructed in 1903, was completely destroyed in about 1943, many houses, shops and churches from that period remain. An exact replica of Government House has now been built as a high class hotel, and there are plans for a Maymyo Museum to be housed in it. The original town plan has hardly changed, and Circular Road runs along the bottom of the ridge, once known as The Rides, a favorite colonial recreational area. In actual fact, there were a number of horse riding trails, radiating out from the town into the countryside, and these were very well used until the early 1940s. Today various unmarked traces of these rides can be found, often looking like country tracks, even in well populated areas.

Maymyo (Pyin Oo Lwin)

 

During the early 1900s the Government of Burma moved to Maymyo (the earlier name of present-day Pyin Oo Lwin) to escape the heat. Although the original Government House (left), constructed in 1903, was completely destroyed in about 1943, many houses, shops and churches from that period remain. An exact replica of Government House has now been built as a high class hotel, and there are plans for a Maymyo Museum to be housed in it. The original town plan has hardly changed, and Circular Road runs along the bottom of the ridge, once known as The Rides, a favorite colonial recreational area. In actual fact, there were a number of horse riding trails, radiating out from the town into the countryside, and these were very well used until the early 1940s. Today various unmarked traces of these rides can be found, often looking like country tracks, even in well populated areas.

Gallery